THE TRUNK ON MY DOES NOT OPEN. PUT SOME STUFF IN THE TRUNK AND NOW IT DOES NOT OPEN. COULD THE LOCK BE BROKE? PLEASE HELP

1991 Geo Prizm • 166,000 miles

The key does not turn when I put it in for the trunk. Could it be broke, how should I go to repair this?
Cathysupina

Is there snow whee you live and they use salt on the roads?You probably have a frozen up lock cylinder. What did you spray in the lock?

No I did not put any spray on the lock. The car was purchased in Florida and I now live in Ohio where it is alot colder, but we have had no snow yet. The trunk requires the same key as the ignition and it will not turn over. It is cold here but not enough to freeze anything yet. Still puzzled, should I take to locksmith or any other suggestions. Thanks

Cathysupina
It could be frozen up from floridas salty air I would try some good penatrant and let it soak into the lock before we try anything else.

I put some WD-40 and Prestone De-icer overnight. Tried this morning and it still does not work. Key just does not want to turn over. Could it possibly be a broken trunk lock?

Cathysupina
Has it worked since you have owned the car?Also wd40 is a lube stuff up but really not to free frozen stuff up. Your going to to have to try a liquid wrench or pb blaster. You could just have a bad lock but I was having you try some penertrate first. Is there a inside release cable you can open the trunk with?

I ended up taking it to a locksmith person. The groves on the key to open the trunk had worn down and it was not fitting properly. He cut me a new key according to the specs for the 91 GEO prizm, and it worked liked a charm!

Cathysupina
Glad to hear you got it all figured out.