91 F250 PROBLEMS

1991 Ford F-250 • V8 4WD Automatic • 192,624 miles

How do I fix the timing after the battery cables were crossed.
Randal_88

Really do not think timing is the issue.

Kinda describe in Full Detail whats Working, What's not, Where the smoke came from, etc. Etc!

Someone here will tell you where to start. Me or someone else!

The Medic

If it refuses to start or crank over after the battery was cross eyed-check all the fusible links and miniature fuses start here

Ok so far ive replaced the fuse wire going from the starter seliniod to the alternator. And ive replaced the coolant sensor valve. But the problem im having after the whole battery thing is. Its not wanting to hold its timing and the throttle isnt right.

Randal_88
But the problem im having after the whole battery thing is. Its not wanting to hold its timing and the throttle isnt right. Don't quite understand you here-idle problems or what? If its ignition timing use a timing lite and also not idling right check the idle air control valve /motor-Is the check engine light coming on?

It probably needs idle relearning -battery being disconnected-

The check engine light is coming on and the only way I can keep it running is turning the idle up and when I moved the truck it wouldnt shift out of second and this has never happened till now

Randal_88
Just to jump in, not knowing a lot about these computerized rigs, but knowing some!

Did you say, "TURNING THE IDLE UP"?

If you monkeyed with the idle speed screw or any other mechanical adjustment, you may have COMPOUNDED your problem!

The computer is set to know where "Base Idle" is. This sorta calibrates everything to knowing where the engine's idle is (this is not the idle that you think of, when sitting still, its a Starting point for the computer) There are certain procedures to set Base Idle, so unless you can set it back exactly where it was. Things may not go well.

Crossing up your cables did not move mechanical settings! Just electrical stuff.

Rasmataz may be able to tell you how to "relearn" your idle pretty EZ, if the Base Idle has not been messed with. How'm I doin' with that much Raz?

Randal_88, tell us what you have done exactly, how are you coming up with the timing conclusions. Otherwise Raz, is shootin'in the dark, kinda like "night-fire with no tracers"

The Medic

Lay down an harrassment fire if it doesn't answer you-you're on the wrong place-ask Charles where in the heck you're at-lol

5x5 there Medic on the tracers-Read the computer's mind and get back if you find any start here or do below and see what happens

IDLE RELEARN PROCEDURE

Place automatic transmission in "P" or manual transmission in Neutral position. Ensure the emergency brake has been set and all accessories are turned off. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature. Allow manual transmission vehicle to idle in Neutral for one minute. Allow automatic transmission to idle in Neutral for one minute and then to idle in Drive for one minute. Once initial relearn is complete, process will be completed during normal driving.
Always complete the procedure before returning the vehicle to the customer

Well what I have done is got the timing where it should be. And the idle screw would be to easy to go back to the way it was. Originally it never was touching the throttle. But without messing with the idle screw I cant keep the truck at an idle. With the screw left were it was the truck doesnt idle. If been told by friends at work I need to get the computer cleared of all the faults.

Randal_88
Clean out the idle air control valve, EGR valve and MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner and see what happens-Raise the idle speed thru the throttle stop screw

And if that doesnt work what would be the next thing to check?

Randal_88
Page 1 of 2