OVERDRIVE?

1991 Ford Escort • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 78,000 miles

I have a 91 ford escort LX with a automatic transmission. I have recently learned that overdrive and drive sound the same, it doesn't seem to lower rpm's. There is no slippage or nothing otherwise, just a acceleration problem but I contribute that to a leaking or bad injector (put new gaskets and top covers on injectors and one was clogged didn't think much of it)
09emdog

Start with a scan and see if there are any set transmission codes, not all codes will set a MIL, let me know what if any codes are set, start here.

Mhpautos
I have a throttle position sensor out of range. But I had just replaced this part I reset computer and it still come up with this. Could I need to replace the connector? Or can I take the sensor and have it tested at a auto parts store?

09emdog
Is the sensor adjustable? That is can it be rotated in its housing, if so go find a mechanic who can calibrate the sensor to actual throttle position first.

Mhpautos
I don't think so, but there is a photo. Otherwise would this be the reason why it doesn't seem to have a difference in overdrive? I have heard on other cars it might be the computer, but I really dont know if I want to spend that amount of money on a maybe. Is there a way to test the computer.

09emdog
That is not an adjustable type TPI, go to one of the larger parts stores, they often do free scans, just make sure that they do a transmission scan, let me know what they find.

Mhpautos