IGNITION PROB.

1991 Ford 500 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 168,000 miles

1991 ford f150 six cyl. 300. Will not fire.I replaced the ICM and ignition coil, also the magnetic pick up. Still no fire. Have 12 volts to the coil. Could this be a short or broken wire. Any suggestions?
Paul botts

OK Buddy

I'll try to assist you. Others here may jump in and help.I deal with Jeep CJs mostly. I do know a bit about your rig. Just to get things started

ANY HISTORY WE NEED TO KNOW?

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON?

Even new stuff can be bad, such as your ignition module and your coil, you may even have the wrong coil. You might go to "Advance Auto Online" or "Auto Zone Online" or Wherever you purchased it at--plug in your info, see if it's the same as the one, you were given by the guy who was texting, at the parts counter, when you stepped up!

I have a few homemade pics--tell me if they are like your set-up--please do not do anything you are unsure of!

Yes, if your wires on the distributor/ coil are not tied down and have been flopping, a broken wire is possible. This 1st pic I send, may help you know if the distributor wires are OK

If you know how to perform a continuity test, you can check your wires. Or the Old fashioned way, YOU SHAKE, YOUR BUDDY CRANKS!

I do have some crude homemade pic, explanations, on continuity testing.'Bout like I'm sending now.

If you do continuity tests--TAKE YOUR POS BATTERY TERMINAL LOOSE 1st!

I found you a wire diagram--if you cannot read it, let me know--I have another route to get it to you.

I may not be up on newer stuff, but I can find resources pretty well.

Your Turn

The Medic