91 NO CRANK

1991 Dodge Dynasty • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

1991 dodge dynasty will turn over but not crank
have replaced starter battery ignition switch and key switch it starts and then stops within about 3 seconds
Blueeyespdc

Help me understand, the car actually starts and runs for three seconds and then shuts off?

Legitimate007
Itstart and will stay for a few seconds and then will stall. I replaced everythign I can think of could it be the computer?

Blueeyespdc
It could be but I doubt it, have you changed the idle air control valve? Have you tested fuel pressure?

Legitimate007
Yes tested the fuel pressure and it was low compared to what the book says it should be. COuld it be the fuel pump going out or the regulator. I can hear the pump come on when I turn key and then I hear it go off when it dies? This one has me stumped?

Blueeyespdc
It sounds like the pressure regulator, however, a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause this too

Legitimate007
The fuel filter was replaced also.

Blueeyespdc
Ok so we can cross that out

Legitimate007
I dont really know what else to do can the computer be checked off the vehicle. We tried the thing to test the IAC valve and it is not moving in and out you can tell it is trying but just barely moves, we tried cleaning it but still no luck. Could it being bad cause the no crank issue? ALso we can smell gas when we try to crank it even though I dont touch the pedal?Help out of many and out of patience!

Blueeyespdc
BTW all this happened after replacing the starter and battery. I had it quit on me at store finally got it home and had starter tested and it was bad replaced it and battery. Drove to work that day and the next and then that afternoon went to leave work and would not crank has not cranked since. Had to have it towed home. Thought maybe a little background would help: )Thanks

Blueeyespdc
Page 1 of 3