WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR TURNS ON AS SOON AS I START CAR

1991 Buick Century • 125,000 miles

Windshield wiper motor turns on as soon as I start car. Also, the blades wont move.
Winks

So you can hear the motor running as soon you start the car without turning the wipers on?Also the wipers dont move with the motor on?Have you checked to see if the wiper arm nuts are loose?You could have a bad logic board keeping the wiper motor running. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Happened today on way to work, have not taken anything apart yet. Wiper arm nuts? The arms themselves are firmly seated, I can move one (a little) and the other will move - linkage ok I assume. Wipers were turned on in heavy snow. The spline(?) Gears may be stripped, but the motor coming & staying on? I do have a multimeter.

Winks
Arms shouldnt move without the motor I would check those nuts that hold the arms on the splined shaft. If there tight then you have a spline issue on the arms or shaft or a broken linkage. Also do you have the two speed wiper or does it have the intermintant wiper function?