CAN YOU HELP OUR CLASS WITH THIS PROBLEM?

1990 Plymouth Laser • 215,000 miles

Alright so first of all this is not my car it is a buddies and he let me take it in to my auto class at school and look at it. The car is a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS turbo manual and it has a performance clutch put into it. It has also recently been in a front end accident but the damage looked strictly cosmetic and it doesn't run any different besides this one problem.
The problem he has been having is when the car is running 4500 or more rpm it has a tendency to run terribly. I don’t really know how to explain it exactly but basically it feels like something is either loose or slipping because the car will***** back and forth and the engine speed will fluctuate about 400 rpm. The thing that confuses me is that it doesn’t happen every time just maybe 3 out of 5 times. It will happen in every gear when the engine runs that fast. We all tried in my auto class including the teacher and we can’t figure it out, if you could help us that would be great.
Colin_C

The first thing we have to figure out is the clutch slipping or is the engine cutting out?Do which is happening?