AOD TRANS

1990 Ford F-150 • V8 4WD Automatic •

I have just got a 1990 ford f-150 4-wd 5.0 with a aod trans it was two have had a new trans put in about 1 year ago. The fluid is not burnt and is pink it was over full when recived. The truck is up shifting at to high an rpm, but will go through the gears it also helps to take your foot off the gas. The truck also wont go into od or lock up untill 60 mph also having to lift off gas and then at the sight of a rise in the road will drop out.I plan to change the fluid and filter but I am wondering if it could be the tv cable ajustment and cant find out how to adjust it. The eng is a jasper efi 5.0 motor that was installed about 70000 miles ago. The fluid being good and pink leads me to think it has rencenty started this. I was told that he drove the truck in drive possition and not od. If you could point me in the right direction and help with the tv ajustment, if you think this could help or where to start. Thanks Dave
1990dlt

Sure trans is AOD and not E4OD? If AOD TV will be attached to throttle body and cable will runto trans. Is it there?

Docfixit
Yes it is on the throttle body.

1990dlt
Tv auto adjust on instalation and will cause hars or delayed shifts 3-4 delay to 50mph or accel lift is 3-4 shift valve fault

Docfixit
So that means the throttle valve is bad, or just sticking and if so what can be done to correct it is there an additive I can use to help free it up?

1990dlt
Did some looking and FORD says normal which I find a cop out. And additive may helpthe valve body is O.K. Just problem with 3-4 shift valve. Maybe sticking or spring weak. If your up for it and are changing fluid remove valve body and check out 3-4 shift valve see diagram also sending diagram of check balls

Docfixit
I changed the trasn fluid and filter the fluid looked good was not burnt. Refilled it and used an additive then I gave the TV cable a little slack took it out and it shifted a lot better. I then gave the TV alittle more cable and now it shifting as it should without having to lift on the gas 1st to 2nd about 10-15 mph and 2nd to 3rd about 25-35 mph depending on load and over drive at 45 up. So I guess to sum this up I would not say that the TV is not auto adjust as you said.

1990dlt