ODOMETER STOPPED

1990 Dodge Spirit • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 31,000 miles

I have my grandpa's old 1990 Dodge Spirit. The odometer just quit working. As the gas gauge hasn't worked in a while, I count on the odometer to know when to fill up. I am a single mom and can't afford a big repair. Is this a loose wire or what?
Barbiejean

Does speedometer work? If yes then speedo head is faulty

Docfixit
Is trip meter out also?

Docfixit
The speedometer does work. The trip meter does not.

Barbiejean
Try this see if can get a fault code. Run engine move shifter through all gears ending in park ac on then off engine off. Turn key on DO NOT startthen off, on, off, on leave on check engine light will flash record codes and post so code 23 will be Flash-Flash-pause-Flash-Flash-Flash

Docfixit
Will try that and get back to you, thanks

Barbiejean
Ok, tried what you said. Code is either 1-5-5, or just 5-5, what does this mean? Thanks!

Barbiejean
Code 15 fault vehicle speed sensor. There is a good chance a gear is broken in head. Are you able to remove cluster from car? if yes then do so and see if small gear in speedo is stripped. Options salvage yard or speedo repair see this site http://www.instrumentclusters.com/
Have attached pics of panel removal. Is there a low fuel warning light?

Docfixit
I keep gas in it since the gauge doesn't work, so the low fuel light doesn't either. Will see if I can find someone to help get the dash off. Checked the local junk yard and no 1990 Spirit, they did have a 93 Spirit is this or the Plymouth Acclaim (91)the same, that kept popping up too.

Barbiejean
When get out if gear is striped from speedo to OD contact that site they will sell you gear couple $

Docfixit
Since I depend on car for work and daycare was hoping to find a car in the junk yard instead of ordering one and paying shipping too. I do appreciate the help.
Barbie

Barbiejean