BRAKE SYSTEM

1990 Chrysler Imperial • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

In my 1990 chrysler the abs pump starting coming on even at the lightest touch and at low speeds now it comes on and stays on as soon as I turn key. There are no leaks and I bled the brakes but they still feel kinda spongy.I do have power assist but not very much because I cannot get the car to slow down fast enoughwhen im hard on the peddle. This system is the bendix style if that helps you. I heard this system was terrible and had recalls. Also I cannot find an abs scanner to borrow and im disabled and cannot afford to buy one or take car to shop. If I knew what to replace I know I can do it myself.I did inspect and clean wheel sensors. Just need to find out what is telling pump to keep running. This sucks cause we are getting a newer vehicle in two months at income tax time, figures. Please help
Joseph riemer

You can remove the fuse and safley drive the car without ABS until you buy the new one. If you really need the ABS info, you would need to scan it to get the fault code. The abs main unit might be defective, or the relay.

Merlin2021
If you're sure this is the Bendix-10 system, there was a recall on it to replace the piston assembly in the master cylinder. My '93 Dynasty has that system but I never put the part in yet. Only has 4,100 miles on it! Parts involved in safety recalls are warrantied for life, at least for the original owner, so parts should still be available from the dealer.

To add to the story, I thought '90 models all had the Bosch system. That is not involved in the recall. The Bendix-10 system gets its power assist from the pressurized fluid, so if there is internal leakage causing low pressure and the pump to run all the time, (common symptom with the Bendix-10 recall), you will be missing the power assist.

Its dfinatly bendix cause I see the bendix on the round metal ball that is pressurized next to the master cylinder. So are u saying because I am not the original owner I cant use the warranty?And if not when I go to junk yard should I get new booster or does it not have one in bendix style?Also I tryed pulling abs pump motor relay or pump motor fuse in engine area and it does shut of pump but I lose the little bit of power assist I had and my brakes feel like trying to use while car is not running ie; complete manual which is super hard to drive.

Joseph riemer