IGNITION PROBLEM

1989 Toyota Van • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

I have a 1989 Toyota Le Van with 195M miles. Auto transmission.
When I turn on the ignition switch, the Brake, Charge and Radiator lights go on and stay on when the engine starts. The battery stays fully charged 14+ V, engine running and 12.8 volts stopped. The float switch in the overflow tank works and the emergency bake switch is working. The vehicle passed the California smog test, in a test only station within the past month. Perhaps you can help me?
Earl

At the alternator, unplug the 3-pin connector and turn ignition ON. If the charge light stays off, reconnect the connector and start engine.
Test the Black/Yellow wire for battery voltage when engine is running.

Use a remote wire to apply battery voltage to the Black/Yellow wire to test if the lights goes off.

If battery voltage is not available and remotely applying battery voltage results in the indicator lights going off, the alternator voltage regulator for the charge indicator circuit is bad.

Have done all of the above but the lights stay on. I did not apply a remote wire to the black and yellow wire as there was voltage there already. The ign, charge, and engine fuses are good.
What's the next step.
Earl

Earl
" At the alternator, unplug the 3-pin connector and turn ignition ON. "

Did the charge light stay on? If yes, there is a short in the circuit from the dash indicator light to the alternator.

Sorry for an error I made in the above test. You need to remove the Black/Yellow wire from the connector to perform the test on the pin at alternator for voltage.

The check engine, (not charge), and only the radiator light came on-nothing else.

Earl

Earl
The alternator voltage regulator circuit for the charge indicator is bad. To rectify the problem you would have to replace the alternator.

In view of the above facts and that the battery stays fully charged please show why you say I need to replace the alternator.

Earl
The voltage regulator has 2 functions.

Control the charging voltage and test done have confirmed that the charging rate is normal, meaning this function is good.

The second function is to turn the charge indicator off when engine is running and charging system has no faults. In your case, this system is faulty whereby it is not turning the charge indicator off.

You wanted to rectify this problem so you have to replced the alternator.

I have a suggestion for you. Post a fresh question on this problem and let other experts have their view on it.

Have a nice day.

I took it out and had it tested yesterday- they replaced it under waranty and I will install it today - will let you know.

Earl

2Carpros Max
Installed the rebuilt alternator. When I turned the ignition on I got the same results e.G. BRAKE < CHARGE RADIATOR. The battery is new and fully charged
This condition started out of the blue- I went out, turned the igntion on and got this result. I took the watertank out and checked the switch inside and it is good. However when I pull the emergency brake up, the Brake light on the dash gets a little brighter- almost like there are two circuits affected.
Thanks for your help.

Earl

2Carpros Max
Have you checked body grounds and the main ground from the battery to the engine block?

Jacobandnickolas

2Carpros Max