WHEN I PUT MY GEAR INTO REVERSE OR DRIVE, FRONT RIGHT WHEEL SPINS, THEN IT STOPS AFTER A WHILE.

1989 Toyota Corolla

I have an ae92 toyota corolla 1.6 glx auto. Car was driving fine, then suddenly revs started to climb and car would not accelerate. Jacked up the front wheels and checked to see if it spins. Front right wheel first started spinning slowly then faster, then stops completely after a few minutes. Left front wheel does not spin when in gear, but spins when rotated by hand in park.

Transmission fluid looked a bit like chocolate. What can I do or check.
Geno1613

When vehicle is jacked up, the front wheels would free-wheel and either can move or stop. If the brake on one side is sticking more than the other, the above would occur. This is normal.

Did you test if the revving only occurs in any particular gear?
Chocolate colored transmission fluids indicates the fluid is in bad condition and if the level is correct, you could have a failing transmission.
If fluid level is low, it can cause slipping as well.

Took off the left side wheel, discovered the cv joint is wobling, when I inspected the cv joint, the inner shaft came off. Pushed the inner shaft back in. Put some pressure on it and both wheels started to turn and engine would accelerate as normal, but when I released pressure, problem returned. I cannot get the inner cv tripod out to check condition.

Geno1613
When you say that inner came out, was this coming out of the transmission?

Mhpautos
I will upload a picture to try and explain what came out from where. If you look at no.1 - this part is still in transmission. No. 2 is the part that came out. I need to check what is wrong with part no. 1, as the problem stems from there.

Geno1613
The inner CV joint was detached from the shaft.

If the shaft is wobbly, either the tripod bearing or is housing has worn or lack lubrication.

The boot has to be tight with sufficient CV grease. You would need to remove the complete shaft to disassemble to check for waer and replace if necessary.

Cv was not the problem, had it replaced just in case. Cleaned the filter, drained the old transmission fluid, top up new ATF. Car drove fine, normal gear changes, slight hesitation on kickdown to second gear. Now when I stop the car, the car would seem to slip out of gear and move back in drive gear as if in neutral, when I switch the car off and start it again, the problem seems to be gone (normal gears and everything). What can the problem be now?

Geno1613
Check the transmission fluid level.
Ensure the throttle pressure cable is adjusted correctly.
Ensure the idling speed is not too low.