TRANSMISSION

1989 Toyota Camry • 156,000 miles

My family and I were on our way to the store when it felt as though the shift lever was pushed to neutral. Of course that wasn't the case, the car will go forward and reverse, but you have to give it a lot of gas. It feels as though it can't get traction. I replaced the filter and fluid in the tranny, still same problem. Any suggestions?
Thomas530

Any strange noises?Also are both axles slid all the way into the transmission?

Both axels look to be in all the way. No strange noises, I can put it in drive and it will move forward without stepping on the gas, can do the same with reverse. But it won't "grip" enough to take off. I was able to get it up to 25 mph and it shifted gears even but no power

Thomas530
The engine rpms go up and the speed doesn't increase?What did the bottom of the inside of the pan look debris wise when you changed the fluid?How did the old fluid look?

Fluid was dark, there was some metal shavings on the 3 magnets

Thomas530
Sounds like you may have some internal failure inside the transmission.I would do a pressure test on the line pressure of the transmission.

How would I test the pressure?

Thomas530
You have to use a transmission pressure tester but lets check for codes first I posted how to check for codes.