Mechanics

ALTERNATOR PROBLEM GOOF

1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 75,000 miles

I changed the alternator on my 1989 Olds but forgot to disconect the battery and you guess it, I got a spark and a burnt wire insulation smell. When I put in the new alternator, it seemed to not be charging the abttery based on dash alternator gauge. Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar
Dlane1234
November 13, 2010.




It sounds like you burned what is called a fuseable link. It is a wire between the alt and battery that is designed to function as a fuse. Check it for continunity and let me know what you find.L

Joe
AD

Thanks Joe, you are correct, I don't have conntinuity from alternator to the battery. It looks like the hot battery wire goes to the starter and the big red wire from the alternator goes to the starter-I see no fusible link. When I fried it, I could hear a zizzle near the starter. The alternator red wire got warm. I put in the new alternator but don't see any or small voltage coming from the big red wire output when running. The car will start OK and run off the battery. Would I have enough battery power to drive 8 miles to a repair shop, assuming I can't find and replace the fusible link? I do appreciate your help and advice. For my part "haste does make waste" and I will stop kicking myself soon, I hope. Dave

Tiny
Dlane1234
Nov 13, 2010.
Joe, That's what happened-that is wgere the zizzle came from. I see a solid plastic/rubber cylinder 3/8"D, 1.5"L (in fact several just before the starter) where the alternator wire goes into and I believe one also for the battery wire also. Would this be the fusable link wire? I do thank you for your advice. Dave

Tiny
Dlane1234
Nov 13, 2010.

AD