NISSAN SENTRA IGNITION TIMING PROBLEM

1989 Nissan Sentra • 120,000 miles

Hello. My question is how much would it cost (+/-) to repair the ignition timing, and the malfunction indicator light in a 1989 Nissan Sentra? I took my car for a smog check yesterday, but it did not pass. The emissions test, and the visual inspection passed; however, the functional test failed. I went to a garage to hopefully fix these problems. The owner ran a diagnostic test, and told me that with labor and parts it would cost $950.00. This is only for the ignition timing. Is that price a bit high? The kit that is used to replace the timing belt (chain) from an auto parts store only costs $120.00. That leaves $830.00 in labor. Is this too much?

I know that I have asked more than one question, but I really do need help from an auto professional who will give me an unbiased point of view.
Thank you,
Celeste
Celestevalverde

120 is without the profit the shop will make on the part. The labor is about 6 hours. The price is in the ball park.

What is the code for the light?

Thank you for your answer. The owner said that he couldn't repair anything else until the the timing belt was fixed. I don't know what the code for the light is.

Celestevalverde