MPI ENGINE WONT START

1989 Mitsubishi Eterna • FWD Automatic •

1989 mitsubishi eterna, motor turns over has spark, no fuel thru injectors, clicking noise when key is turned on
Robert m

Check fuel pressure from the pump (under DIY on our home page). Next, check if the injectors are getting power. You need a noid light. Disconnect an injector, plug in the light, and crank the engine. The light should pulse when it gets power.

Thank you, will give it a go this week, will reply with result.
Again Thank You.

Robert m
I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi, finally got around to this.
Checked the injectors power on onw e side of connection, but no power when motor turned over. Decided then to have a look at the computer, for leaking capacitors(Internet is a great thing. Got the old fishy smell, not that strong though. Decided to replace on my lounge coffee table in front of TV. No earth strap, not a technician(computers $78 at wreckers. Put back in car, fired up and ran quite smoothly. Now a problem after a few minutes the engine starts to hunt and then starts to miss/seems to be choking, then it stopped and would not start. Left it over night and it fired up straight away and again after a few minutes it started to surge/hunt. Could this then be a fuel pressure thing, I think I might go get a secondhand fuel regulator from the wreckers. What do you think?
This is the website I got the capacitor info from http://www.technomotive.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm Regards.

Robert m
Before spending the money, check fuel pump pressure. Go to our homepage under DIY site and you will find both directions and a video explaining how to check the pressure and the regulator.

I have to ask if the computer you got has the same part number. Also, when it dies and won't restart, are you getting spark, power to the injectors?

Hi, I repaired the computer out of the car, if thats what you mean. The numbers on the case are MD150426, E2T36171. Cost to repair computer was $1.50(one dollar and fifty cents)
Not sure about the spark and power at injectors will have a look after I have checked the fuel pump pressure, as you have suggested.
Come to think of it, I may have checked them and there was no power at the injectors, cannot be sure will have to check again, what would this mean if so?

Robert m
I havent had a look at the fuel pressure as yet, but, I have discovered that the earth cable to the battery is faulty.I had the cable checked for continuity and all was fine.
I was about to clean all the contact points and reattach the earth leads, but decided to use jumper leads as a pre check and the engine fired up. Note I had repaired the wiring to the radio, that my teenage son had rewired a new sterio into the car. I managed to blow the fuses for the lights and one other fuse, which then caused this earth problem to surface. The earth issue may have been a contributor to the problem all along.

Robert m
I couldn't agree more. If you have a bad or weak ground (earth) connection, that can cause so many problems. Have you replaced the cable? Has it helped?

I will replace leads this weekend, as well as the o-rings for the fuel injectors and the two ends of the fuel rail, bolt all the little bits back up and hopefully take it for a drive. I thought I had an issue with the air conditioning system as well, but this too maybe related to the bad earth. Fingers crossed will get back to you after the above work is done.

Robert m
It very easily could. Let me know.