CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY IS SO HARD TO STEER?

1989 Mercury Tracer • 102,000 miles

It is Super hard to turn the wheel when I'm going slow. The faster I go, the easier it is to turn. Why?
Dandemerrel

Check the power steering pump fluid level-we start here let me know

Thanks. This isn't a symptom of a problem or anything. It's really hard to steer all the time. It has been since the first day I got it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why. My dad thinks it's rack & pinion steering. I wouldn't think it would cause it to be this difficult to steer tho.

Dandemerrel
Do you have power steering?

No. Is that why it's so hard to turn? It's dangerous. I'm constantly almost hitting cars in parking lots because of it.

Dandemerrel
Any ehicle without power steering would be much harder to turn.
However if there are other faults, it would aggravate the situation.

Ball joints, absorber mounting bearings (if equipped), tire pressure and size, steering linkages and universal joints are some of the components that can aggravate the situation.

Ok. I'll have to get those things checked. Thank you. I actually just picked it up from the mechanic yesterday. It needed a new distributor.

Dandemerrel