MERCURY TRACER SPARK PROBLEM

1989 Mercury Tracer • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 100,000 miles

1989 mercury tracer 100,000 miles. Car is in very good condition as it was not used for a decade. Car died while driving. Won't start. What could it be? There has been nothing to indicate any problem.
Dandemerrel

**Cranks but no start condition: Do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Just get it going again?

Running on 10 year old gas, or did this issue happen a good while after you pulled it out of mothballs?

Maybe a little more recent history?

Just interrogating Raz, Just passing thru!

The Medic

Nice post CJ MEDEVAC, very good point! 10+ year old gas may not do the trick. If you just tried starting it and have not been able to drive it anywhere, try spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold and see if that does the trick to make it start up for a second or two.

Danlesabre
If you poison it 2x and fires up 2x and dies-check the fuel pressure

BTW Medicineman-you got 8,663 posts to become a Sr. Moderator-Wish you luck and my blessings

Roger, never thought I'd get to a thousand!

We scare off Mande78?

Come in Mande78, Come in!

Kinda wanna see something good happen, 'fore I gotta go to bed!

The Medic

I drive the car everyday. It runs great. It just died while driving today and won't start.

Dandemerrel
Rasmataz gave you some stuff to try. This will steer him toward what to chase after.

One was testing things for a spark problem, the other was testing for a fuel problem.

. Can you and yours perform these tests and send the results back, so that He (we) can send you additional information, focusing on what system, needs further attention?

While I'm sorta barking stuff out. Explain "won't start" in more detail. Turns over, no turn over, tries to start (spits and sputters), clicks, smells etc. Etc?

Any noises?

Other history that might aid us?

Do your headlights, gauges, starter work?

Of course the one that will make you mad. But must be asked. Do you have fuel?

Is this too much for you and you need stuff explained better?

In order for our end to continue to try to help you, you must do this stuff and report back.

Most of this is not hard to do, and you are allowed to cheat and have the mechanically inclined neighbor kid to aid you!

This could turn out to be something EZ to fix and be relatively inexpensive. And then again, we might run into more difficult issues.

We need you, to be our eyes, ears, and hands.

The Medic

Okie dokie. Thanks. The car is at the mechanic's now. He will figure it out and I won't break any nails. ; )

Dandemerrel
Women.(I hope?) Lol!

Come back to see us, maybe before a manicure is needed!

Please do, let us know, what the solution was

The Medic