WHY DOES MY FUEL GUAGE WORK?

1989 Lincoln Continental • 160,000 miles

I was have proplems with the indicator and fuel pump so I replaced both. My fuel guage worked for a few days but stoped working again. It says that I'm on E and I have Zero miles dill empty. Is the sending unit faulty or is there something else?
Greenchevymalibu

Have the fuel sending unit checked

How do u check the sending unit?

Greenchevymalibu
Also sometimes CS where the fuel gauge is and where it tells you your gas mileage has CS on it.

Greenchevymalibu
It will have to be removed from the tank and the potentiometer resistance will have to be tested with an Ohm meter, also you will have to check the float system as well as it may be binding up.

Mhpautos
New fuel pump installed and same problem.

Greenchevymalibu
Did they replace the sender unit, it is separate to the pump.

Mhpautos
Yes sender and pump where replaced as a unit. Could be a faulty unit?

Greenchevymalibu
Could I have gotten 2 faulty units in a row?

Greenchevymalibu
Usally they have a fuel gauge tester. They hook it up and it sends ohms for e or 1/4-1/2-3/4 and full. The pump my not be alined properly because you buy the pump seperately from the sending unit. Then they go togeather to be installed. Before taking anything apart find a shop with a fuel gauge tester with the sending unit and the float is sticking.

Cadieman