WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO DIE WHEN THE ENGINE WARMS UP AND WILL NOT START UP AGAIN UNTIL THE ENGINE COOLS OFF?

1989 Isuzu Trooper • 180,000 miles

1989 Isuzu Trooper II, 4 cyl, 4 wheel drive. The vehicle will start up and runs fine until it warms up. Once the engine warms up, the engine dies and will not restart. There is a smell of gasoline after it dies. When the engine cools down, it will restart and will run until the engine warms up again. It has had a full tune-up including replacing the ignition coil.
Wghunt

What you need to do is this. When it won't restart, check to see if it is getting spark and fuel to the engine. One will be missing. Once identified, we can focus on that circuit.

If you need directions for checking, see our homepage under the DIY section.

I am fairly confident that it is an electrical problem. After the engine dies, there is a strong smell of gasoline coming from the engine like it is flooded. I have seen this exact problem with a couple of cars during the late 1960's. A couple of times it was the ballast resistor and once an ignition coil. Each time the problem was that the coiled wire had either broken into or burned into. When it was cold, both pieces of the broken wire touched and made contact. Once it became hot, the wire would separate and no longer flow electricity through it. When it cooled, the wire would touch again until it heated up. The problem is that since I haven't worked on cars since the 1970's, I am unfamiliar with the electrical system on newer vehicles, especially foreign made ones. I have been unable to locate a free diagram of the ignition system. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Wghunt
I attached a wiring schematic. I didn't realize you needed one.

I appreciate the wiring schematic. I have looked over it, but nothing really jumps out at me as the possible cause of the problem. If you have had any experience with a similar problem, or any idea of what the problem might be, I could use your help by pointing me in the right direction.

Wghunt
I reread our posts. Have you ever identified if spark or fuel are missing when it won't restart? The idea of smelling fuel sounds like you lose spark. That would point me toward the crank sensor. However, you may have a fuel leak.

You have got not working or not connected cable from engine temp. Controller whitch gets worse of fuel injection. It is located under the plenum manifold, near the 2 cyl. Sorry of my english : )

Skiczu