2.6L LS

1989 Isuzu Trooper • 4 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 190 miles

I figure this question probably sounds silly but in my repair manuals and even online I seem to be getting opposite answers. I'm trying to get my 1989 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.6L Auto to TDC with the No.1 piston on the compression stroke. Is TDC with the No.1 piston on the compression stroke on this car when the crankshaft sproket marks are lined up at 12 O'clock, the Camshaft sprocket with the marks lined up with the upper camshaft cover, and the No.1 sparkplug lined up in the distributor, or should when all the timing marks are lined up on the crankshaft and camshaft, should it be pointing to the No.4 spark plug in the distributor and then I should turn it 360 degrees? I'm trying to get it lined up with the No.1 cylinder on the compression stoke. If you could help it would help so much!
Timmmit

Diagrams shows the # 1 cylinder on compresison stroke and distributor should be pointing to # 1 cylinder.

If you want to be sure, get back to the basics. Remove the valve cover and note if # 1 or # 4 cylinder valves are overlapping. The cylinder that is not overlapping would be compression stroke and the distributor rotor should be pointing to that cylinder.