FORD TEMPO LIFTERS PROBLEM

1989 Ford Tempo • 170 miles

Oil light on noisy lifters oil is full
Fixitmr

It sounds like you may have a clogged oil pump screen or the pump itself is bad. First, get a mechanical pump to make sure there is low pressure. If there is low pressure, then you need to take the oil pan off and see what is going on with the pump.

My pet bulletproof tempo is hurting. Dumby me! In morning since cold weather oil light would stay on but no noises then after engine started to warm went out. Then on a colder day it did not go out and finally the engines lifters started tapping. Shut it off and towed home. Went to drain oil and sludgy mix with lumps came out then when it stopped I poke in drain with coat hanger and more sludgy stuff took 15-20 min to get oil all out. Call it my PET SOUP of many ingredients that I just topp off, hardly ever changed. I even had to heat pan with salamander to get it all out. Put some deisel and 5w30 in and cranked over and let idle till warm lifters still noisy but no other knocks. Dipstick is wet all the way up from running. I changed oil filter. Strange thing is if I remove the sensor at filter at first nothing came out, then it gushed a little and dribbled when running. I would think if the new oil got hot it would dissolve any blocks unless maybe screen is so packed it aint budgin? Crank must be gettin some oil? So there ya go, the pan aint easy to remove on these at all. Lotta work and maneuvering really hate to get into that if I dont have to. I guess I should look at bearings though?

Fixitmr
Check with some shops that may have a bilstien flush unit. It forces oil into the filter cleaning all passages, oil pick up screen and oil pan. Great system I used it tons of times and saved a lot of motors.

We got rid of it as the company did not want it anymore but there are still some out there.

Do you think blowin compressed air thru oil sensor port would do any good with screen or blocks? It; s right on the filter housing boss.

Fixitmr