OVERDRIVE

1988 Toyota Pickup • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 168,000 miles

1988 Toyota SR5 pickup. 4 Cyl 22RE with Automatic/ overdrive.167000 miles
Will not go in to overdrive. 2 carpros suggested that I change the Thermostat. I did this and it did not help. Any other suggestions.
Here is a little more history on the problem. It was always slow when engine was cold about going in to overdrive. It would take about 5 or 6 miles before it would change. We recently had a spell of cold weather. When this occured it stopped all together going in to overdrive. All other gears work flawlessly. Any ideas would be be greatly appreciated.
Derek
Dynamicderek

Toyota uses the coolant temperature sensor to control the overdrive operation in a given temperature-also check the TPS and VSS sensors

Thank you for your quick response. Where is the coolant temperature sensor located, and what does it look like. Also the TPS And VSS sensors whare are they located and what do they look like.
Thank toy
Derek

Dynamicderek