DRUM BRAKES

1988 Toyota 4Runner • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual • 3 miles

On my 1988 4runner my rear drum brakes or over adjusting them selfs because the star adjuster arm is attached to the parking brake arm, so every time I pull the parking brake the star adjuster gets moved about 4-5 clicks. So I backed the star adjuster down but now I have close to no pedal, but the lines are well bled. My parking brake handle pulls all the way out as well. I have never had a problem with this up in till a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely mind boggling, why all the sudden it is becoming a problem. If you have any thought or questions I would be very happy to hear them.
tyler
Straightaxle

No pedal could be the master cylinder leaking internally

I dont think that is the problem but I know it is a possibility, i'm more concerned about the drums over adjusting because if I can fix that the low pedal is an easy fix.

Straightaxle
What makes you think they're over-adjusting? If you back the adjusters down, the shoes are going to have to move further so you WILL have a low pedal and the parking brake will run out of cable. The shoes have to move for the adjuster to do its thing, and the shoes can only move if they aren't out far enough.

If one of the drums is getting tight, check for a sticking parking brake cable that isn't fully releasing. If you find that either shoe is not contacting the large anchor pin, the shoes will be able to rotate a little each time you apply the brakes while you're moving. That can activate the self adjuster. There must also be a little free play in the parking brake strut rod when you push it against the anti-rattle spring.

Did you actually watch the self adjuster move with the parking brake? Did you mark it and try it with drum both on and off?

Fixitmr
Yes I did it first manually with the drum off then pup it on pulled the parking brake then released and it did 4 clicks! I almost want to just convert it to 4 wheel discs you know.

Straightaxle
The adjuster is supposed to adjust when the shoes are able to move too much. That's normal when the drum is off.

Lets step back abit here? Why did you suspect the brakes weren't right in the first place?

Fixitmr
My return springs are shot i'm pretty sure some new parts and a good cleaning everything will be back in order.
Thanks for the input.

Straightaxle