DOES THE EVEN HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC CODE RETRIEVAL PROCESS? I DONT SEE ANY TYPE OF CONNECTOR FOR A CODE RETRIVAL TOOL

1988 Mercury Tracer • 62,000 miles

I have been researching about code retrieval and dont really have a clear understanding about the process to retrive codes for the 88 tracer or if there are any codes to get
Richardcarson1

It can be done but not very helpful info. Car made after 11/20/1987 need STAR tester before can use analog meter. Is MIL on?

Docfixit
I'm not sure what mil is. I had the issue of stalling when the gas pedal was touched. When I asked on here about the 1988 tracer I was told to check fuel pump pressure and check codes. So I stated looking into how to check codes and have no clue.

Richardcarson1
MIL is the Malfunction Indicator Light (Check Engine Light).

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/ford-lincoln-mercury-obd1-1995-and-earlier-diagnostic-trouble-code-definition-and-retrieval

Above link explains how to go about but this might not be applicable for your vehicle.

Symptoms you described could be due to a fault with the VAF (Volume Air Flow).

On the 88 tracer I cant find a data port connector(states is under hood by battery) that resembles the one list under the link you posted. Nor is there any type of connector that I can locate. I did pull the fuel line off after the filter and the pump does pump gas, which let me to believe something with vacuum hoses. After checking every hose for cracks, I found no visible flaws. So im wondering if the mass air flow meter is the culprate? And how do I go about testing the meter? Thanks so much for your input

Richardcarson1
Check if the connector is underdash.

Using Analog Volt/Ohm Meter (VOM)

1. Turn ignition off and connect a jumper wire from the self test input connector to ground. Set volt/ohmmeter on a DC voltage range to read from 0-20 volts.

2. Connect volt/ohmmeter between White/Green wire terminal on 6-pin self-test output connector and battery negative terminal.

Testing of the VAF is rather complex and requires a DVOM and breakout box.