THE ENGINE JUST STUMBLED

1988 Jaguar XJ6 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 119,000 miles

1988 Jaguar XJ6 3.6L mileage: 119,000. While driving up a steep hill on the freeway, I kicked the gas pedal into passing gear and as I approached 70 mph, the engine just stumbled and began running with absolutely no power. I had just tuned the car a few thousand miles ago so I don't think that is the problem. The car starts fine and runs and shifts OK up to about 2000 rpm then the engine just makes a roaring sound like it is sucking air. I checked for vacuum leaks, none. Changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel injection system everything seems to check out. However, while test driving after I had done all this the exhaust transfer pipe blew out. I repaired the pipe and tried a test drive again but got the same results, the engine roars the transmission kicks down but no power. If I try to go up even minor grade hills it won't go over 30-35 mph. It seems to run fine all the way up to freeway speed if I don't accelerate hard but as soon as I floorboard it, it just bogs down. I have tried just about everything in my Haynes repair manual but to no avail. If you could give any insight into what my problem is, I would be eternally grateful
2CarPros-Archives

Check to see if you have a plugged catalytic converter. This would account for your lack of power problem.

2CarPros-Archives