WHY DOES MY ENGINE POP THREW THE INTAKE WHEN REVVED

1988 Ford Mustang • 160,000 miles

My 88 mustang 5.0 pops when u rev the engine. The popping comes from where the air filter goes connected, the intake. New wire, plugs.
Alexmunoz

Your ignition leads correct position?

Mhpautos
I think they are. Except when I put the wire in firing order it doesn't work. I have to switch them backwards. Instead of it being 4 8 it is 1 5 why is that.
3 7. 2 6
2 6. 3 7
1 5 4 8
Front of engine

Alexmunoz
Check the firing order with this pic.

Mhpautos
I've tried it. It's doesn't work. On the engine I have to put the wire backwards. I have to put wire 1 to 4 and 4 to one and 2 to 3and 3 to 4 same on the other side. Never seen anything like this on a car before. My number 1 starts at the fire wall and four is in the front and 5 is by the Dr fire wall. And 8 is in the front

Alexmunoz
If it were me id pull the number one spark plug out and put the motor to top dead center on compression stroke, you can find out if it is compression stroke using a compression gauge. Once on top dead center number 1. Pull your distributor cap off and see if the rotor is pointing towards number one wire. If not you need to pull out the distributor and reset it correctly and then wire it like the diagram shows.

The distributor is 180Deg out, what you need to do is remove plugs and coil lead, turn engine by hand and feel for compression on #1 cylinder, check timing mark and turn engine till pointer is at around 10deg BTDC remove distributor and re position so rotor is as shown in pic, re fit leads as shown, this should be close enough to start and re time with timing light.

Mhpautos
The reason I said this is because it sounds like someone along the line installed the distributor incorrectly and arranged the wires to make it work. The only other thing that it could be is intake valve train problems. Was it running ok before the tune up?

LOST WITH ALL OF THIS?

NEED SOME "HANDS ON"?????

YOUR DISTRIBUTOR CAN BE DROPPED IN WITH THE ROTOR BUTTON POINTING TO MANY POSITIONS--WHAT MATTERS IS "WHERE" THE ROTOR BUTTON WINDS UP, WHEN THE #1 PISTON IS AT TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC)

"NUMBER 1" PLUG WIRE MUST CORRESPOND, NO MATTER WHERE IT WINDS UP ON THE DISTRIBUTOR....FROM THERE YOUR SEQUENCE IS CCW 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

TO KEEP ALL OF THIS "TEXTBOOK" (EVEN THOUGH THIS WOULD WORK W/THE ROTOR BUTTON POINTING ANYWHERE)

THE DISTRIBUTOR MUST BE INSTALLED WHILE #1 PISTON IS AT TDC, WITH THE ROTOR BUTTON POINTING AT "1" AS IN THE PIC PROVIDED BY mhpautos.......THEN THE PIC WOULD WORK FOR YOU, AS 'SOMEONE' HAD TO SORTA "SET" THE STANDARD OF WHERE TO POINT THE ROTOR BUTTON AT TDC

THE "TDC" PART OF THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT!

I KNOW....OVER YOUR HEAD!

LEMME GET YOU A "MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO" THING GOING, IT WILL WORK THE BEST!

I HAVE 2 BUDDIES WHO HELP ME SOMETIMES (THEY DON'T KNOW THEY ARE MY BUDDIES!).......TAKE ALL OF THIS IN!....FORGET WHAT 'FRED' DOWN THE STREET SAID!

PART 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2X9mSSlQY

PART 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHX1yXVyIMg&feature=relmfu

LET US KNOW HOW THIS IS GOING

Ive seen concaved lifters cause this poping noise.

Cadieman
Thanks guys. All I need now is to fix my brake booster and most likely re-wire my turn signals.

Alexmunoz