SHIFTING GEARS

1988 Ford F-150 • 95,000 miles

I have a 1988 ford f-150, 4.9 v-6, with a/t. I had to replace the starter switch that is mounted on the steering column. My manual said to remove the steering coloum shroud, lower the column, and r/r the switch. After doing this, I re-assembled, but now the gear shift selector will only go int the R and the N position. It will not move to the forward gears. It seems like something is blocking it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jeffduty

If you didn't remove the gear shift indicator when you installed the switch it's a good possibility you broke it, they are pretty flimsy and easy to break

Diyautoelectric
ROGER ON THAT!

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE WEED EATER LINE SIZED TUBE THAT WAS A DANGLING. IT HAS/ HAD A LITTLE STRING THAT RAN INSIDE THE TUBE. THE END OF THE STRING WAS ATTACHED TO THE SHIFTER LINKAGE IN THE COLUMN. ALL OF THIS IS/ WAS A-HAPPENING DOWN BELOW THE INSTRUMENT PANEL SORTA BELOW "PRND21" (OR EQUIVALENT)

IF YOU DID TAKE ALL OF THIS LOOSE BEFORE YANKING THE COLUMN DOWN, MAYBE WHEN YOU HOOKED IT BACK UP IT GOT MIS-ROUTED OR IN A BIND

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR SET UP, BUT MY DAD'S '86 T-BIRD WAS SET UP SORTA SIMIILAR

THE INDICATOR QUIT WORKING ON HIS, I FOUND THAT A PLASTIC COLLAR WITH A "POINTY ATTACHMENT" FOR THE LOOP ON THE STING (MENTIONED ABOVE) HAD SPLIT AND SORTA WAS SLIDING ON THE LINKAGE. INSTEAD OF PULLING ON THE STRING. LIKE IT WAS "SPOTA DO"

I WAS ABLE TO WRAP A HOSE CLAMP AROUND THE BROKEN PLASTIC COLLAR AND MAKE IT "STAY IN PLACE" SO IT COULD PULL THE STRING. IT WAS A BIT HARDER TO CALIBRATE IT (THAN IF I HAD, HAD A NEW COLLAR. BUT IT WAS A FREE FIX!

YOUR TURN