GLOVE BOX

1988 Ford F-150 • 107,000 miles

It decided to no longer open, how do I get it open when the latch doesn't work? I tried looking through the limited opening and can see part of the mechanism. Also tried to find tech illustrations so I can figure out hot it works to no avail, so do you know where to find them?
Zenmanv

Are you talking about the hood latch? Can you remove the front grille, then try to reach the latch through the opening? Is the release in the cab or under the hood, some older vehicles there is no hood release in the cab.

I used to have an older ford pickup. Only had the mechanical latch at the front of hood. I used a long pair of pliers to grab that latch. I bent bent it pretty good, but I finally got the hood up, then lubed the latch mechanism. Good luck.

Which latch are you talking about? On the site one says hood another says glove box?

It's the glove box, not the hood. My glove box latch broke and I want to open it for repair. Any ideas?

Zenmanv
Hey y'all! Never mind! I looked at my neighbors car because he has a similar latch, figured out how to open it and got it open, then tinkered with the latch for curiosity and accidentally fixed the dang thing and soon it will go back into the truck! HAHA! Victory!

Zenmanv
YEAH BOY! I got it back in and it works better than before! A little hint for those that fall into the same issue; know how to unlatch your own in case and make sure if yours is loose that you tighten it and it will work properly. Mine was loose and I didn't realize it which led to the failure. Luckily I got it back together and it works. See ya!

Zenmanv
Good job. Without being able to look at it, I wouldn't have had any idea about the glove box. Did you use a thin bladed tool to open the latch?