DODGE ARIES ENGINE PROBLEM

1988 Dodge Aries • 50,000 miles

Car ran great until a couple of days ago. While driving at 55mph it stumbled once. The next drive three times. The next morning it started and then stalled three times, then ran fine on the forth start. Later that day it started losing power while driving and stalling at stops. It now will always start with no problem but only for a few seconds and then stall. Please help!
Ryanokeefe

Check the spark plugs, wires and ignition coils for a start.
Are you able to keep the engine running if you feather the throttle?

It does keep running with the throttle feathered, however it is not steady and does stumble.

Ryanokeefe
The idling speed is too low and I would suggest cleaning the throttle body and checking for vacuum leaks.

I found a broken vacuum line coming from the heated air and purge canister nipple. I am going to get a vacuum splice to fix the line. Would that fix this issue?

Ryanokeefe
If it is a constant vacum line, it most probably would fix the problem. You need to get it fixed to know it that is the cause. You can try plugging the vacuum source to test.

I have ran down all the vacuum lines. Made the repair I mentioned earlier and no improvement.

Ryanokeefe
Also, when I open the throttle, a white vapor comes out. Is that normal? The car develops a strong gas smell when repeatedly started and kept running by giving it gas.

Ryanokeefe
If anything is coming out of the throttle, it could mean the ignition timing is too advanced.

Symptoms indicates the engine is running rich and if you have not checked the spark plugs and related components, go through them.

I have checked those. I am going to check the timing belt next to see if it is okay.

Ryanokeefe