MY 1500 STALLS WHEN I SHIFT INTO GEAR.IT STARTS UP AND RUNS FINE UNTILL I SHIFT INTO GEAR.

1988 Chevrolet Silverado

5.0 engine with auto transmission
I replaced the IAC valve and it worked great.I sat there shifting into gear and she continued to run.I went up and back on my street and when I came to a stop in gear, she stayed running. Afew hours later, I went out to check it and sure enough its stalling when I shift into gear again.
A friend of mine says it may be the torque converter? Confusing that it worked temporary after installing the new IAC, but now it does not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Silverado88red

It could deal with the torque converter or torque convert clutch (TCC). Have you checked for other things such as vacuum leaks?

I have not.I just got the truck and she is in need of some TLC. The IAC valve was also a friends suggestion. Vacuum leaks would cause her to stall when shifted into gear?Where do I start.I do have a manual that I just bought.

Silverado88red
Start with the vacuum leaks. Check to see if you can find any. Then I would check the IAC and move to the trans. If you haven't, scan the computer for trouble codes first.

OK, I will check all possible areas for a vacuum leak.I read the manual and it tells you where to check.
Scan for trouble codes? Can you do that even if there are not any check engine lights lit up on the dash? I do have access to a scanner.
Have you ever ran into this type of problem before?

Silverado88red
If the light isn't on, chances are there are no codes. However, you can check to see if there are any stored. Keep in mind, this could be the IAC too.

Good idea. Will do.I installed a new IAC and the truck stayed running in gear for a brief run around the block. An hour later I went out to try it and it was doing it again. Still stalling when shifted into gear. Odd that after installing the IAC, it worked fine and then it did'nt.

Silverado88red
Remove the IAC and have a helper turn the key on and off. See if the pintil is moving. You may have a bad one or there may be no power to it. Maybe moving the wiring around allowed it to get power for a short period of time. (One never knows)

Good idea.I'll let you know what happens.

Silverado88red
Well, I have checked for vacuum leaks and I can't find any. After checking the new IAC, it seems to be working properly.
Would a faulty MAP sensor cause it to stall when shifting into gear?

Silverado88red