WHAT CAUSES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON WHEN WARMED AND IDLEING

1988 Buick Century • 156,000 miles

Whenever it starts, everything is normal, but once it warms up and isn't moving for around a minute, the check engine light comes on but will go away after a few seconds if I start to give it gas or it will go away for a brief period of time if I do nothing but will come back a few moments later if still idling.
Broody2008

Could be any of 1500 different items. You need to have the code pulled and get back to us with the number so we can further assist you

What kind of scanner could I use on a vehicle that old? Most of the ones I see don't work on 1988's

Broody2008
Its an obd1 stystem. You will need a shop to pull the code for you. They will most likely charge you for the service.

I used a paper clip to get the check engine light to flash me the code and I got 35, I found a page on this site saying that it means idle air control sensor circuit fault. Where should I go from here? I believe this is something I should be able to fix myself, I'm very mechanically inclined, just need to know what direction I should go in with this.

Broody2008
In the big hose to the throttle body is the iat sensor. Make sure it is plugged in and the wires are not broke. If all is good, replace the sensor and see what happens

Okay, thanks!

Broody2008