TOYOTA PICKUP TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1987 Toyota Pickup • 218,000 miles

Od does not work 99% of the time, changed the od solenoid on transmission but still an issue. Can you tell me wheres the temp sensor for the transmission. Light on od goes on and off correctly. Once in awhile od works.1987 toy-dually-4cl-thanks for any input-rick
Rick a.

Did you test the OD circuit for proper voltage when switch is activated? Was the OD relay checked?
Temperature sensor is inside transmission at the valve body.

Od not checked, deteriated/leaked-bought new one, can I unplug the solenoid and check for 12v @ plug when switch is in on position?Thanks rick

Rick a.
Yes, you can do that.

Checked voltage @ plug and found 11.94 which is fine. Sorry about delay, got busy. Thanks again rick

Rick a.
Yes, the voltage is correct. Try connecting and disconnecting the plug and listen if the OD solenoid clicks.

Add a ground wire between the transmission and body to see if it helps.

Yes I do hear the solenoid clicking when I disconnect and reconnect plug, did not add ground.

Rick a.
If the solenoid is clicking and OD is not working, either the pressure line is clogged, the solenoid is bad or you have a fault with the transmission.

Pressure line inside trans where the solenoid is?

Rick a.
When in OD, the following are in operation.

Front Clutch
# 2 brake
OD brake
Rear Clutch (outer piston).

HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TESTS

Line Pressure Test
NOTE: Hydraulic pressure tests should be performed with transmission fluid temperature at normal operating temperature of 122-176°F (50-80°C).

1. Ensure transmission fluid is at normal operating temperature. Connect Pressure
Gauge (09992-00094) to line pressure test port on transmission. See Fig. 8.

2. Connect tachometer to vehicle and ensure it is visible to driver. Block all 4 wheels and fully apply parking brake. Start engine and ensure idle speed is adjusted to specification.

3. Apply service brake and shift transmission to "D" position. Check line pressure
at idle and record pressure reading. Accelerate vehicle to stall speed and record
line pressure reading.

4. Repeat test procedure in "R" position. If line pressures are not as specified, check
throttle cable adjustment. Adjust throttle cable (if necessary), and repeat test procedure and record pressure readings. Compare all readings to specification.
Refer to the appropriate table under LINE PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS.

Thanks for all your help. Od now works after taking solenoid back off and blowing out the valve and line

Rick a.
Page 1 of 2