GRAND MARQUISE STALLING PROBLEM AND ROUGH IDLE

1987 Mercury Marquis • V8 2WD Automatic • 154,000 miles

1987 Mercury Grand Marquise mileage: 154,000. Within the past six months, the car has had a stalling problem and rough Idle. About a month ago, it stalled and would not start. I tired to jump it, wouldn't take a jump. I had it towed to the garage. They put a new battery in and did some adjusting to the Idle. It work for a few days and then it started stalling again, but not bad. It has gotten progressively worse over the month to the point it would stall over and over again before catching. Once moving it wouldn't stall, unless it was in park. I took it back to the garage. This time they put a new throttle sensor or something on that line. I picked it up today, drove it for five minutes seem to be driving well, stop at a store. When I got back in it wouldn't start. I jump it and it started up, then it shut off, no start. Could there be a short somewhere, or starter? We had a probable with one of the electric windows this past summer, couldn't get to come up. We moved the wire in the inside panel and the window went up. Could this be the problem?
2CarPros-Archives

Here are some things to check. Load test the battery. Check that the battery cable connections are clean. Check for 12 volts to starter solenoid with the key in the start position. These things should be checked first then the ignition switch, starter and starter solenoid. One of these may be faulty. Also, check charging system. Here is the procedure we use to isolate a battery drain. Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow or “light” if there is a drain. If the “light or glow” is faint, that is probably normal draw for the clock or computer. If the “light or glow” is bright, then there is a large drain. That should be corrected. Now start removing and replacing the fuses one by one until the light goes out; that one will be the circuit with the drain. Remember to hold in the button in the door jam for the interior lights.

2CarPros-Archives