HATCHBACK 1.4 L 4 CYLINDER (CARBOURATED, STANDARD)

1987 Honda Civic • 100,000 miles

The carburator was recently replaced (accelerator pump diaghram desintigrated, wouldnt idle, little to no bottom end, anti-freeze leaked into intake, and idled fast before the carb was replaced) along with a new baseplate gasket manifold. The new carb fixed the idling and bottom end problem, the baseplate fixed the anti-freeze leak. Test drove it and it stalled out as soon as I decellerated at an intersection down the street. Wouldnt start back up for 3-5 minutes then repeated. I turned the idle up and it stopped stalling out. Next I was driving on the interstate traveling around 60 mph. 10-15 minutes after I started driving my car bogged down and stalled out as soon as I threw it into neutral. Like the throttle was completely released. Pumping the pedal only worked for a slit second multiple times. Wouldnt start back up. Next day it started right up and I drove it home, which the problem reoccured again. Now it can barely make it down the street. I've replaced both fuel filters, put a refurbished fuel pump on, ran seafoam through the engine, checked fuel pressure, checked vacuum lines and for any leaks, cleaned the gas tank, and replaced the battery before all thes problems showed. My dad, little brother, and I repainted, reupholstered, and repaired this car in two years and as soon as its ready to drive this happens and now I have no help. I would greatly appreciate and tips at what I can do to eliminate any possibilities. Thanks, Thomas.
Tafutrain

Thomas: When it doesn't start, have you checked to make sure the choke isn't closing? Also, when it wouldn't start, did you check fuel pump pressure and volume to make sure it was within the manufacturer's specs?

The choke operates normally, its almost closed before I start the car and opens up after the engine warms up. I don't know how to check the fuel pump pressure or volume. When its idling though, it sounds as if there is no spark in a cylinder and its only firing off the compression from the rest.

Tafutrain
But no I didnt check any of those when it occured.

Tafutrain
You mentioned that is sounds like one of the cylinders seems to be missing. Have you checked the plugs?

Yes. I checked the spark plugs and one wasnt sparking so I checked the distributor and now all of the plugs wont fire. The coil in the distributor wasnt getting any spark either. The fuel line connected to the carbourator had a small leak so I trimmed it back and fixed it.

Tafutrain
No spark. Have you checked to see if the cranks sensor is bad? Is the coil getting power?