POWER BRAKES ISSUE

1987 Ford Thunderbird • 111,512 miles

I have a 1987 ford thunderbird turbo coupe, and we are currently having an issue with the power brakes kicking in when they are supposed to. The manual brakes work fine, but when it comes to the power brakes they do not kick in. This makes for a tough pedal when pressure is applied to it. We have tried to unplug the power to the brake system and that works for a while but it eventually stops working again. We just ordered an ABS control module and are hoping that it resolves the issue, but we arent sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? Maybe a bad fuse?
Pdunkin

What is wrong? The abs doesn't work? Which wold mean the abs light is on if that is the problem then you need to get it scanned to see what area is bad on the abs system. The power brakes shold work all the time, then you should check for a bad valve at pb booster, or a leaking booster.

Well there is no lights that come on when we start the car up. Its just that when we are applying the brakes, the pedal is touch. We have fixed it temporarily by cutting the power to the whole system. But it just stops working again. We know that its something with the power brakes, we just dont know what it is.

Pdunkin
What do you mean cut thepower? Power to the abs unit? You should never ever do that havea pro look at this befor eyou domore damage to the car.

We unplugged the power to the braking system.

Pdunkin
Hi hmac300. This system gets its power assist from the hydraulic controller. It sounds like they have a stored pressure problem but that should be turning on the warning light unless the pump is just slow to charge the accumulator. My guess would be something is failing in the hydraulic control unit, and that is a REAL expensive part.

Hi guys if the pedal is hard. He will need to check the vacuum at the booster hose. If the vacuum gauge is in the green. The only thing it could be a faulty booster seal.

Cadieman
Good answer, but this doesn't use a vacuum booster. The power assist comes from pressurized brake fluid, similar to the hydroboost systems that use power steering fluid. That fluid needs to get up to around 2200 psi.

I stand corrected

Cadieman
You may be seated. : )

We haven't checked all of this stuff yet. But I just reviewed new info on how I could have occurred. Apparently when my uncle was driving it, he was going up and ramp and applying the brakes. Something busted when he applied pressure to the brakes and try we're suddenly out, and no longer supplying the assistance needed to slow the car down. It still stopped, it was just tough to do with the manual brakes.

Pdunkin