FORD THUNDERBIRD WATER PUMP PROBLEM

1987 Ford Thunderbird • 180,000 miles

My broke son, (18 years old) had his a/c compressor lock up. Since its November, he does'nt need a/c. The serpintine belt broke, so I got a shorter one and routed it as the factory sticker said to route it for non a/c equipped car. If I get one that will actually make it on to all the pulleys as the sticker shows, then when I release the tensioner, it pushes the belt down far enough so that the belt rubs the top of the water pump pulley. Everything is stock on the car, and ive tried every belt from 84 and 5/8 to 86 inches. Either they are too small to go around all the pulleys, or the tensioner drags the belt into the top of the water pump pulley. Please tell me what to do.

There is more of a difference than no ac. The power steering mounts different which accounts for your issue

a company named dorman makes a replacement for the ac compressor that bolts where the compressor went but is just a pulley. Cheap fix to buy time. Just take off the 4 bolts for the compressor and mount this on. Any parts store can get it for you.