AC RELAY LOCATION

1987 Ford Tempo • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 147,136 miles

Enter your question. Where is the AC relay switch on my 87 Ford Tempo. When I turn it on the radiator fan comes on but the compressor doesn't engage.
Baggage1

That relay is built into the engine cooling fan controller which is located behind the glove box.

Wrenchtech
If I understand this right then in order for the Compressor to activate then the A/C fan controller unit itself needs to be replaced. The relay EEC I take it is the Electronic Engine Control relay. The one next to that? I sure appreciate your knowledgeable response. I would imagine finding one of those would be tricky.

Baggage1
No, I'm not saying that this is the reason the A/C won't work. You asked me for the location and that's what I gave you. The circuit needs to be diagnosed properly to determine the reason for your problem.

Wrenchtech
Did the air work before or recently? Your compressor wont engage if it's low on freon. I beleive there is a pressure sensing switch on the canistor by the firewall pass side. You should be able to bypass by shorting the harness plug contacts together to see if juice is going to compressor. Dont try to run it shorted for very long. Just as a test.

Fixitmr
Of course, if you wish to add your own freon you will have to short it again yo get it to take freon.

Fixitmr
If you add your own freon, be sure to check what kid it takes first. You cant mix different kinds of freon.

Fixitmr
I don't recommend trying to add refrigerant to this system without having a set of professional gauges to monitor both high and low pressures and understand totally how the system works and exactly how much refrigerant it holds. This can be very dangerous and/or do a lot of damage to the system if done wrong. Those "death kits" sold over the counter should really be outlawed.

Wrenchtech
The whole system has been professionally rebuilt with some difficulty in locating parts since it ate a bushing that blocked the system. It worked like a charm. I noticed the on switch would light up and the cool air would take some time to come on. Now the light comes on but the cool air doesn't come on at all. I hear or feel the radiator fan kick in which usually started the compressor also. It doesn't need freon. Is the A/C cooling fan controller the whole assembly shown? Or just the left end unit? It looks like Ford wouldn't have any of those lying around but maybe worth a shot.

Baggage1
If the system was "professionally rebuilt", it would be their responsibility to make sure the system is operational. Simply throwing parts or refrigerant at it is not the soolution.

Wrenchtech
You would be correct however if the part was not replaced when redone because it was not defective at the time they would balk. I will go back to them but I know what they will say. So do you.

Baggage1