TRANSMISSION IS ACTING FUNNY

1987 Ford Crown Victoria • 160 miles

So, I'm driving on the interstate, tried to downshift (automatic) and I see a cloud of smoke in the rear view, and my check engine light comes on. So I pull over, pop the hood. It's smoking from the left side near the firewall, but I can't pinpoint the location. I also noticed the overflow tank had overflowed over, meaning to me, it's boiling, got too hot, but why is my question. Now, I wait for about 40 minutes to start it up again, and it tries to turn over, but it won't. I try 5-6 times, and still a no go. I try to start it in neutral. It turns over. So I put it in D, and it feels like I had a clutch and I tried to pull off in second. I drive home, a little over 100 miles to go from that point, doing around 60. I think it never went out of 3rd. Every time I stop, it stalls. Still doesn't start in park. But I made it home safely. So I'm hoping you guys might have a thought on if it's a problem I can fix myself, or I need to replace/rebuild the tranny. Thanks.
Layneed

Sounds like you were going in limp mode. Could start with new transmission SN switch and see how that helps.

Fixitmr
You probably have ruined the transmission if you did what you stated. Driving for 100 miles with a transmission that is not shifting properly along with the loss of coolant would have destroyed the transmission. It is a wonder ther engine did not lock up due to loss of coolant.

Way2old
So, I'm trying to find the SN switch that you stated, But I'm having difficulty locating it on the autozone website. Does it go by a different part name perhaps?

And the coolant only spilled over due to the over heating. I opened the radiator once I got off the interstate and filled it the rest of the way. Didn't lose much. Maybe 8-10 ounces.

Layneed
Fixitmr, anything?

Layneed
Range select switch? Safety neutral switch? Companies have fun with names.

Fixitmr