87 OIL LIGHT PROBLEM

1987 Dodge Aries • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic •

The oil light came on in my 1987 dodge aries, 2.5L. I was driving home from work. And when I pulled into my driveway the light came on. And I was just about to shut my car off (cause I didnt wanna wreck my motor incase my oil pressure had dropped) then the light fadded off. So I let it rn for a little longer and it did not come back on
Jeremyjerm12

To know for sure need to check with mechanical oil guage see what oil psi is may just be faulty sending unit

Docfixit
How do I check with a mechanical iol guage?

Jeremyjerm12
Either take to shop or buy a guage and line unscrew oil sender screw in gague start car read psi

Docfixit

Jeremyjerm12
Hi guys. Excuse me for jumping in here. Don't overlook the fact you might just be low on oil. These are pretty tough engines that don't develop low pressure due to wear very often. Since the light didn't come back on at idle, that suggests the pressure is okay, and since it DID come on when you turned a corner, that suggests low oil level and what was still in the engine ran away from the pickup tube momentarily.

Some auto parts stores borrow or rent tools too and they are likely to have an oil pressure gauge with adapter fittings and instructions.

Hi Docfixit. Good day to you!

The oil is good. Its on full. And it was when I put it in park that the light came on. So it would have been idling

Jeremyjerm12
Then check the pressure. You originally said the light came on when you pulled in the driveway. THAT would be typical of low level. My bet is on a faulty sending unit before an engine problem, but the pressure test will tell for sure.