TORQUE SETTING

1987 Chevrolet Silverado • 163,000 miles

I need to change the pinion seal on the rear diff. On a 1987 Chev 4x4. I'm wondering what the torque value for the yolk nut might be.
Crashgordon56

Considering that the pinion bearing preload is adjusted through the use of a crush sleeve, that is crushed via the pinion nut, there is no specific torque for the nut. Rotating torque of the pinion shaft is about 15-30 inch lbs, that is the pinion shaft only. What I usually do, is mark the nut as best as possible. You and do any, or all of the following. Count the exposed threads from the end of the pinion shaft, to the top of the pinion nut. Put a paint mark on the nut, and a corresponding mark on the pinion shaft. When you reassemble, line the paint marks up, and count the threads. You will also notice the increase in required force to turn the nut, at about the time all your marks align. This is the point where you are attempting to crush the sleeve further. A slight amount more added to the crush is not detrimental. If you don't get it close to where it was, or slightly beyond, can be.

Factoryjack
Thanks for the response. It should help when I put things back together.

Crashgordon56