STEERING WHEEL LOOSE

1987 Cadillac Deville

What kind of tools do I need, this car is my fathers car. What would be wrong with it.
Slickrichard

You'll have to do a WAY better job of describing "loose". Is it about to fall off the column? Can it be turned too far before the car responds? Can it be lifted up and down but not pushed sideways? Does it have tilt wheel? Does the car just wander at highway speeds and is hard to keep going straight, but seems okay in the city?

Have to run to town but I'll be back in a few hours and will look for your answers.

Yes, tilt wheel, don't move side to side on road. Goes straight down the road, just moves up and down loose.

Slickrichard
The 4 bolts at the shift bowl are loose. Being youll need to take the steering colume apart and youll need a couple secialty tools. Your cheepest way out is a mobil steering column repair co. Their is a couple of plastic pieces the rest is labor.1 is the horn spring retainter and key buzzer swith.

Cadieman
Thanks cadieman. Do they also use the fat pivot pins that many other manufacturers use? I've had a few of those, especially on full-size vans, where heavy guys grab the steering wheel to pull themselves up, and that eventually shears off the left pin. Sure can make it miserable to drive when you have to keep chasing after the steering wheel. Fortunately those are pretty easy to fix but you need the inexpensive pin pulling tool to get the broken piece out.

Hey guys the pivot pins are round. Make sure to remove the knuckle tilt spring before removing the pins. Then remove the knuckle. Then you can tighten the 4 bolts and reassemble. Youll need: 7mm socket
steering wheel puller
locking plate tool
30 torx

pivot pin puller just for staters

Cadieman