CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1987 Buick Somerset • 55,700 miles

I have removed the CPS from my vehicle and would like to test the resistance before I shell out the $40 for a new one. It has 4 probes in the connector on which ones should I touch with my multimeter. And what are the readings if it is in fact still good. Thanks in advance.

Rattlesnake1972

Which engine does your car have? I also need to know what the engine code is. This should be the 6th character from the left. Ie: K, L, R.

Rivermikerat
It is the 3.0L v6 the code is (I)

Rattlesnake1972
This is the Buick Crankshaft Position Sensor diagnostic chart for your car and engine.

Rivermikerat
Thank you very much for quick reponse, as it turns out my car is a type 1 module system. Do you have a diagnostic chart of that?Also I have seen on youtube where guys are probing the cps as pictured above, which probes do I touch and what would the readings be on a good one. So I could know if mine is bad.I will be donating to this site soon. As I am working on this car to get it going. Thanks again

Rattlesnake1972
Here's what I was able to find for Type 1. But, according to my reference, it's for a 3.8, not a 3.0.

Rivermikerat
Thanks again. Is there a way specifically. To test the pins on the sensor I sent the picture of with multimeter to see if it is good or bad as if it were right out of the box from store?Which pins to touch and what resistance to look for?Oh and by the way I do have a type 1 and yet it is 3.0 engine.

Rattlesnake1972
What I posted is all I was able to find for troubleshooting.

Rivermikerat