VOLKSWAGON GL LIGHTS AND BRAKE FLUID

1986 Volkswagen Jetta • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 197,456 miles

The reverse lights of the 1986 volkswagon Jetta GL do not light up when gear is in "reverse". Could it be burnt light bulb? If yes, how to fix? If not, what is the problem and how fix? If I cannot fix myself, what is the approximate cost to have it fixed?
Can I go by without the reverse lights working? The car is pretty old and I don't plan to spend too much on it if I can.
Rear license plate lights are out too? Burnt light bulb as well? How to fix by myself. If not, how much wld it cost to have it fixed.
Does brake fluid need to be changed every 2 years. What damages wld arise if not perform as schedule?
Thanks for your help.
Sweet

The most common cause for the reverse lights not working would be the switch located on the transmission. In most cases it is an offence not to have the reverse lights working so I would not recommend leaving it as it is.

Have you checked the fuses? Bulbs could also be the cause. For the license plate lights, check the bulbs first, it is the easiest thing to do rather than jumping to conclusion.

A test lamp or DVOM to test for battery voltage would be the basic tool you need for electrical work.

Brake fluids are recommended to be changed every year if possible. It is hydroscobic meaning it would draw water into the system and when this occurs, the fluid would lose its hydraulic properties and this would also lower the boiling point of the fluid. Aggressive braking would cause the fluid to overheat easily and this would cause brake fade, meaning the braking efficiency would drop.