22R ENGINE, DIES AS IF IT HAS A TOTAL VACUUM LEAK ON TAKE OFF, AFTER RUNNING AT 55 80 IT IS OK, RUNS LIKE A CHAMP, JUST WONT TAKE OFF. ENTER A QUESTION OR SUBJECT AND CLICK SEARCH -

1986 Toyota 4Runner • 174,000 miles

Itall started off with a slight backfireing, which eventually became a large "45 caliber" sound. I first thought that I was getting a rich mixture in the exhaust, when I let my foot of the gas it would go off, ka-BOOM! I took my exhaust system off, carefully examined the entire system and found two small leaks, which I thought might have been provideing the fresh oxygen that would cause the ignition in the mufler. No difference. I then took all of the top vacuum lines off, one at a time and eventually found one with a small split. Replaced. No difference. If I take off, as if I had an egg under my foot on the accelerator, I can get it to take off, but if I press any at all it will die. Oh yes, the back fireing stopped, after I took the hose that goes to the E.G.R. Pump that goes to the carburator of the breather and put a bolt in it to plug it up. But it will not stop nose diving. I almost got ran over with a semi-truck that assumed I was going to continue, not come to a complete stop in front of him. A rebuilt carb for this truck is $576. I paid $1150 for the whole truck. Can' find a rebuilt any where. Or a used one either.
Earl Wayne

I tried to give a $5.00 donation but could not get the soft ware to comply, heck I would give more, like I said the carb cost over $500!

Earl Wayne
Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb is shot to me. You could see if you could get a kit and rebuild it yourself but that's up to you. When was the last time a tune up was done?