MY ALTERNATOR WONT CHARGE BATTERY

1986 Nissan 300ZX • 223,000 miles

I have recently had the alternator changed and everything was working fine until yesterday I washed the car and when I got back in my battery light was on. Later on while driving the car completely died (most likely because it was just running off the battery. I checked all my grounds and made sure wires were all attached to alternator. Im running out of ideas for what the problem could be and need some help!
Timhillmer

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Yes I do and I tested the battery voltage with vehicle running and it started at 12 volts and worked its way down till nine when the car shuts off which lets me know that the alternator isnt charging but its a new alternator

Timhillmer
There is two white wires going into your alternator they should have battery voltage. Also the black wire to the alternator should have 2 ohms or less to ground. If all thats good bad alternator. But my guess is though you will find no power to the white wires.

What if the wires have no power

Timhillmer
Then you have a blown fuse link that feeds power into the alternator.

Where is the fusable link located? I cant see it anywhere

Timhillmer
If you follow the white wire from the alternator it goes right into fuseable link.

I found the fuseable link in the box by battery I hard wirede around it and got my battery power back but now when I start the car therenis a clicking coming from alternator so what would cause this

Timhillmer
Bypassing a fuseable you can start a fire there is a reason the fuseable link blew. Bad alternator or short somewhere. You need to have a the alternator tested.

Well I hooked the fuseable back up and its still clicking

Timhillmer