SMOG CHECK RESULTS PASSED EXCEPT IGNITION TIMING

1986 Mercedes Benz 420sel • 179,332 miles

Help!I have a 1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL with the 4.2 liter V-8First off the vehicle was taken for a smog check all results from the check Passed Except Ignition Timing---Current setting 20 Degrees @ 900 rpm. Spec Setting should be 12 Degrees @ 600 rpm

I was told to start by setting the Crank pulley @ 0 degrees and then set # 1 piston at top dead center I did! And then make sure Dist Rotor Is pointing at # 1 cylinder It was. Loosen the Dist Bolt I did. Start the vehicle and with the timing light check crank pulley marks at that point I got lost.

Please help If you can thank you thomas.
Ttomas2424

Have of the first part of your question was cut off. What are you trying to do?

Rivermikerat
I'm sorry about that let me start over.
I took my 1986 Mercedes Benz 420 sel 4.2 liter V-8 In for a smog check all checks Passed Except the Ignition Timing result Failed! Tech says that my current Timing was at 20 degrees @ 900 rpm and the Spec Is supposed to be 12 degrees @ 600 rpm. Not sure how the timing changed because I have not had any timing issues before and the car had always pass emissions tests. How do I Return timing to Its original setting. Thank you so much thomas

Ttomas2424
Ahhh. Tis fairly easy. Rent/borrow a timing light. (Or buy it, they come in handy). My reference shows that ignition timing is electronically set. But: Disconnect and plug vacuum line to distributor (if so equipped). Connect timing light to power. Connect inductive pickup to #1 plug wire (observe direction of spark). Start engine. Loosen distributor hold down bolt. Point timing light at crank pulley and observe marks. Slowly rotate distributor until timing mark on block lines up with proper timing degree mark on indicator on pulley. Tighten distributor. Connect vacuum line. Check engine RPM on timing light. Locate throttle linkage and idle air adjustment screw. If idle speed is too fast, back screw out slowly until proper speed is reached. If too slow, tighten screw.

Shut engine off. Remove timing light and test drive.

Rivermikerat
Thank you for the reply. rivermikerat. I understand all that you say however i'm a little stuck when you say (your words) Disconnect and plug vacuum line to distributor (if so equipped). Can you please tell me where that vacuum line is located exactally if I have one. I took some digital photos for you. can you see files? here we go i'm sending some. thomas
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This Is what my carb looks like. I just finished following you instructions and there was no change to vehicle there must be a vacuum line somewhere I just need help finding it..thanks again I hope you can see the photos i posted.

Ttomas2424
Hey Thomas. Only one image came through. It's of the Bosch fuel injection fuel distributor. I did a little more research. I don't think your car has a vacuum advance, so don't worry about the vacuum line. I've attached an image if the distributor cap on your car. Yours may be blue or black.

Rivermikerat
Here are the other photos for 1986 Mercedes Benz 420 sel 4.2 liter v-8 With the timing issue.I took my 1986 Mercedes Benz 420 sel 4.2 liter V-8 In for a smog check all checks Passed Except the Ignition Timing result Failed! Tech says that my current Timing was at 20 degrees @ 900 rpm and the Spec Is supposed to be 12 degrees @ 600 rpm. Not sure how the timing changed because I have not had any timing issues before and the car had always pass emissions tests. How do I Return timing to Its original setting. Thank you so much thomas

Ttomas2424
First image is the ignition distributor. I've attached a picture of what it looks like from the bottom. On the right, you'll notice an oblong opening in the "wing". This is where the holddown/adjuster bolt is.

The second image is the timing marks you need to look at while setting the timing. The pointer is dead center above 0 (zero).

Hook up the timing light, start the engine, and loosen the holddown/adjuster on the distributor. Point the timing light at the timing marks. SLOWLY turn the distributor while watching the marks. The light will flash every time the #1 plug is fired, allowing you to see where the pointer is in conjunction with the timing gradients on the pulley.

You may want to loosen the adjuster bolt before you start the engine.

Rivermikerat
Thank you very much.

Ttomas2424
My pleasure. Let me know how it goes.

Rivermikerat
Hi expert mechanics
My Vehicle Is a 1986 Mercedes-Benz 420 sel 4.2 Liter V-8
I was having an Issue with getting the Ignition Timing set so It would pass my Emissions test. I was advised to do an alignment check by setting Crank pulley, #1 Cylinder @TDC and last point Rotor at #1 cylinder. That's all done all check out good. Next thing loosen Dist Bolt start vehicle and move Dist to achieve appropriate timing. (NO) Good Nothing Happened. Found out that this model has NO manual timing adjustment, It is Electronic so that means that other devises work with the ignition system. SO. Does anyone know how to Test or repair or get a cheap Electronic EZL control Module Part# 003 545 9132 thanks thomas Photo added.

Ttomas2424