STARTER GRIND/AWFUL NOISE/NOT ENGAGING SOMETIMES

1986 Jeep CJ7 • 150,000 miles

Hello 2CarPros,

I have an issue to where the starter on my Jeep is not engaging all the time, as a matter of fact I get maybe one good start out of it then I am out of luck. It makes an awful grinding noise and there is metal shavings in the starter flywheel area. I have replaced the following: starter, starter solenoid, battery, and battery cables. I have looked at the teeth on the flywheel and some are worn, but there are good teeth also, and none are missing. After you get a couple of good cranks (but not starts) it just give a high pitched whine and spins. I have mic checked the whole and it is not two far off of what the diameter of the centering edge the starter has. This is a two bolt setup, one going in from the front and one going into the starter from the rear and has a power cable connecting from the solenoid to the starter. I was told to check how much room is between the flyweel and the bendix but don't know how to do this since there is the main plate between the engine and the tranny in the way. I can upload pictures of the worn flywheel if needed. Thanks in advance for the help/assistance.

Gus
Gustafa75

Some are worned-you need to replace the flexplate sooner or later its gonna get worst-the starter pinion drive is too far from the flexplate that's what causing the high pitch whine-try shimming it closer

Is the flexplate only for an automatic transmission? I have a manual but can only find one for an automatic.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Gus

Gustafa75
Forgot to add the teeth on the flywheel are worn on the leading edge, not the whole tooth. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Gus

Gustafa75
Replace the flywheel its worned

HOW 'BOUT COUNTING THE TEETH ON THE STARTER?

GO TO A COUPLE OF OTHER AUTO STORES, COUNT THE TEETH ON THEM

MESSED WITH ONE W/ SIMILAR ISSUES.I WAS TOLD THAT SOMEONE SOMEWHERE INSTALLED THE WRONG STUFF ON 'EM. SURE ENOUGH, WE FOUND A DIFFERENT TOOTH COUNT THAT WORKED (NEVER SEEN THE ISSUE SINCE)

BETCHA DONE LOST THE OTHER AS A CORE?

LOOK TO SEE IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE YEARS ALSO----YOUR INFO DOES NOT REFLECT YOUR ENGINE SIZE OR MUCH ELSE

I ANSWER THE CJ 5 AND 7s A GOOD BIT, THEY ARE MY CRUSADE HERE

YOU COULD RIG YOU UP ONE OF THESE. NEVER HAD TO GET ANOTHER ONE!

Well to tell the truth, I recently bought this as a fun toy. The starter that was originally on it was making the same noise. I heard about the 9 tooth and the 10 tooth starters on the bendix. What I have is a 1986 CJ7 with a 4.2L and a manual transmission. Sorry forgot to initially put that stuff in there. Will the one tooth make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the replies.
Gus

Gustafa75
I would be fine with hooking up a manual crank. Wife would hate it though. Lol

Gus

Gustafa75
THE ONE I DEALT WITH WAS A '85......I'M NOT GARAGE, JUST A CJ FANATIC DIYing TO SURVIVE W/ MY OWN.

I'M NOT AN ENGINEER EITHER, BUT FROM PERSONAL HANDS ON TRIAL AND ERROR, GOING FROM WHICHEVER THE GUY I WAS HELPING HAD, TO THE OTHER, FIXED HIM

HAVE YOU READ ANY OF MY STUFF IN HE CJ FORUMS? I'M KINDA THE MacGYVER, I KNOW MY WAY AROUND A CJ WELL....HOLD YOUR HAND IF NECESSARY TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR JEEP.

RECKON YOU COULD KEEP ONE CLEAN---TRY IT---RETURN IF NECESSARY?

JUST 2 RECENT, OF MANY EXAMPLES

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1983-amc-eagle-car-starts-wire-burns-through-stops-running

I'M HERE TO ASSIST ALL I CAN----ANY OTHER ISSUES/ INFO?...KEEP SLINGIN' 'EM OUT. DON'T NEED TO CREATE ANOTHER QUESTION

I LEARNED THE HARD WAY...WILLING TO SHARE WHAT I CAN...NEVER HAD NOTHIN' BUT CJs SINCE I GOT MY DRIVERS LICENSE IN 1981...PRESENTLY DRIVING # 6 AND # 7 NOW

GOT REPAIR MANUAL(S)?

I'LL RESPOND AS LONG AS YOU DO!

LOOKS LIKE MY "RAT" DIDN'T COPY THE OTHER LINK...KEPT THE 1ST!

TRY THIS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1978-jeep-cj7-need-help-getting-started-start-on-troubleshooting