BAD TO NO SPARK

1986 Ford Ranger • 200,000 miles

My 86 ranger has new plugs new distributor new coil new plug wires and wen I started it it runs fine thn it starts to act like it's running on three cylinders and runs really rough whats wrong? And sometimes now it won't start at all or starts running rough right when I start it and won't stay running
Sparker14

ARE YOU ABSOTIVLY CERTAIN THAT YOU PUT THE SPARK PLUG WIRES BACK ON THE CORRECT SPARK PLUGS AND ON THE DISTRIBUTOR POSTS IN THE EXACT SAME POSITIONS?

WHAT WAS GOING ON PRIOR TO YOU REPLACING THESE PARTS

. ALL WAS WELL AND YOU WERE PERFORMING PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE?

. OR WAS IT ACTING UP BEFORE THESE NEW PARTS?

ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN ADD. OTHER MAINTENANCE PERFORMED EARLIER (WHAT AND HOW LONG AGO)?

I just bought it about a month ago and all of those were replaced right before I got it and it was running fine until the last couple days and I replaced the coil today because it started cutting out after I accelerate past half throttle and it wasn't a problem with not getting enough gas then it started just running rough randomly then would fix itself and I was told to change the coil so I did and it took care of that problem and ran fine for a fem minutes then started to run rough again and it was just going back and forth running bad then good again while it was idleing it acted like it was only firing on three cylinders when it started running rough and now it either won't start or runs rough non stop

Sparker14
HOW 'BOUT ONE OF THESE????? (I GUESSED YOU HAVE A V-6)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_original-equipment-(oe)-fuel-filter-motorcraft_17410001-p?searchTerm=fuel+filter

I GO THRU EVERYTHING WHEN A VEHICLE COMES INTO MY FLEET--ALL FLUIDS--ALL REGULAR MAINTENANCE---I JUST DON'T TRUST THE OTHER GUY.....I CAN TRUST "ME"

HISTORY?....LIKE, SAT 10 YEARS AND TREES GREW AROUND IT?

IF THAT'S NOT IT, CAN YOU DO A FUEL PRESSURE TEST WITH A GAUGE?

Hi, my EA falcon 3.9MPFI does the same thing, it blew my muffler apart when it started playing up, I came across this thread while looking for a problem with my car. Heres my story; - My car always ran good then cut out (tacho turned off, 0). I worked out that it stopped because the distrubitor was getting hot (sloppy bushes i
think), once it cooled it worked fine again.
- I tried fitting another dizzy (lol off a 3.9CFI) and no go (research showed me the internal chopper was different (MPFI ones have a shorter blade on one)).
- I bought a new distributor and coil package to suit my needs from Repco, OEM=$600 vs Generic=$300, I chose the cheaper one.
- I fitted the two new items to manufacturer specifications and the car started first turn, it went well for about a week when my bro pointed out a rattling sound at idle, it was coming from the dizzy, I stopped the engine then checked the oil, it was half on dipstick, when it was topped up it ran without the rattle (i think the damage was done already).
- I continued to go to work everyday (15Km away) and the car always plays up around half way there or back, unless I warm up my car for 10-15min before.
- I researched more online and many people said my symptoms were something to do with the TFI module (on side of dizzy on EFI engines), sometimes it wont fire at all in the mornings, but I thaught I might fiddle with the plug on the distributor while starting (i got a remote starter thingy), while pushing the plug in further with ignition on, I heard a click, then I tried starting it, it started and ran until I let go of the plug. It is plugged in all the way too.
- My thaught is that when the first dizzy overheated, and maybe the current one too, it got that hot that the tabs in the socket on the TFI module got hot too and made the plug get hot, possibly opening up the contacts to an open circuit.
- Still bugging me I got to the contacts on the plug (by sliding out the red plastic thingy on dizzy plug on wiring harness side) and tried to close them back up to make a better contact with the TFI. It worked for a bit and I still have the same problem.

I put in a new timing chain also when I put in the dizzy from repco, but I noticed that the oil pressure regulator for the chain wasn't there, feeding lots of oil to the chain and maybe less to the dizzy causing the bushes to wear and get hot. Does this sound like it could cause these problems (oil pressure in dash shows normal)? BTW all of the distributors have an oil port around the neck going to the shaft, but there isnt a oil port anywhere in my engine in the same area. How does the distributor get lubricated?

Anyway I hope my spiel helps you figure it out, or you might have an idea for me.

PsYcOw