CRUISE CONTROL AND HORN

1986 Ford F-150 • 98,000 miles

The cruse control and horn do not work, nor does the tilt steering wheel. 1986 Small block V-8 Lariat XLT, Long bed, Manual Transmission (4 speed), 4 wheel drive
I would like to know if this is a common problem, and if so what could be the problem? The horn will work if hot wired to the battery. Every thing else is working but the A/C. Don't care about the A/C, just the horn and cruise control.
Theblackcat

Are the cruise control switches in the steering wheel?

Wrenchtech
Yes the cruise control switches/buttons are in the steering wheel. The tilt wheel should work with the turn signal, and it does not, but I assume that the cruise control, horn and that are all some how connected.

Theblackcat
You likely have a bad Voltage supply brush in the steering column or it's related wiring. That is a rotating contact that provides uninterrupted power to everything on the steering wheel. If you had an airbag, that light would be on also.

In later models it's called a Clockspring and a lot more reliable.

.

Wrenchtech
Thanks! Is it easy to fix and where exactly is it in the steering column? No airbags.

Theblackcat
Being that it's a tilt wheel, that makes it much more difficult and requires a few special tools. I wouldn't recommend trying this yourself. It has some real high power springs in there also.

Wrenchtech